GEMS in D200
GEMS CONFERENCE SCHEDULED FOR MARCH 14, 2020 HAS BEEN CANCELED.
Due to the continued concerns with the spread of the COVID-19 virus and out of extreme caution for the safety of our families and students; and following the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to avoid large gatherings, the GEMS event originally scheduled for Saturday, March 14 at Woodstock North High School has been canceled.
GEMS - Girls in Engineering, Mathematics & Science
Woodstock District 200 is happy to announce its first GEMS (Girls in Engineering, Mathematics, and Science) Conference which is free for girls in grades 6-8
- Saturday, March 14, 2020
- Woodstock North High School
- 7:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (See below for the day’s schedule of events.)
Girls will learn about careers in engineering, math, and science by actively participating in hands-on sessions. These activities will be taught by women in fields such as structural design, polymers, technology, geology, and mathematics.
- The conference begins with a Career Expo, featuring booths where families can learn more about STEM-related careers, including the necessary skills girls need to be successful at the high school and college level.
- Parents are invited to explore the exposition and participate in the Parent-Child Building Challenge from 8:00-9:55 a.m. At 9:55 a.m., girls will go to their hands-on sessions until noon.
- At noon, parents should return to the WNHS Cafeteria at noon to meet their daughters and attend the closing event of the conference. The event will conclude at 12:30 p.m.
The Mission of GEMS is to ensure that a girl sees herself as a change agent or a problem-solver, a possible technology entrepreneur, engineer or a scientist, and as a person who makes a difference. GEMS encourages girls to pursue education and careers in all STEM fields, including technology, engineering, making and related high-paying, entrepreneurial enterprises.
♦ 7:30 - 8:00 Registration in Foyer
♦ 8:00 - 9:00 Exposition in Gym
♦ 9:05 - 9:10 Welcome and Introduction in Cafeteria
♦ 9:15 - 9:45 Parent-Child Building Challenge in Cafeteria
(Click here for details about session content)
♦ 9:55 - 10:20 Session One in Classrooms
♦ 10:25 - 10:50 Session Two in Classrooms
♦ 10:50 - 11:00 Break (snacks available)
♦ 11:00 - 11:25 Session Three in Classrooms
♦ 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 Session Four in Classrooms
♦ 12:05 - 12:30 p.m. Closing Remarks, Raffle and Survey in Cafeteria
Marcy Buchanan • firstname.lastname@example.org