GEMS in D200
GEMS - Girls in Engineering, Mathematics & Science
Woodstock District 200 is happy to announce its first GEMS (Girls in Engineering, Mathematics, and Science) Conference which is free for girls in grades 6-8
- Saturday, March 14, 2020
- Woodstock North High School
- 7:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (See below for the day’s schedule of events.)
Girls will learn about careers in engineering, math, and science by actively participating in hands-on sessions. These activities will be taught by women in fields such as structural design, polymers, technology, geology, and mathematics.
- The conference begins with a Career Expo, featuring booths where families can learn more about STEM-related careers, including the necessary skills girls need to be successful at the high school and college level.
- Parents are invited to explore the exposition and participate in the Parent-Child Building Challenge from 8:00-9:55 a.m. At 9:55 a.m., girls will go to their hands-on sessions until noon.
- At noon, parents should return to the WNHS Cafeteria at noon to meet their daughters and attend the closing event of the conference. The event will conclude at 12:30 p.m.
The Mission of GEMS is to ensure that a girl sees herself as a change agent or a problem-solver, a possible technology entrepreneur, engineer or a scientist, and as a person who makes a difference. GEMS encourages girls to pursue education and careers in all STEM fields, including technology, engineering, making and related high-paying, entrepreneurial enterprises.
♦ 7:30 - 8:00 Registration in Foyer
♦ 8:00 - 9:00 Exposition in Gym
♦ 9:05 - 9:10 Welcome and Introduction in Cafeteria
♦ 9:15 - 9:45 Parent-Child Building Challenge in Cafeteria
(Click here for details about session content)
♦ 9:55 - 10:20 Session One in Classrooms
♦ 10:25 - 10:50 Session Two in Classrooms
♦ 10:50 - 11:00 Break (snacks available)
♦ 11:00 - 11:25 Session Three in Classrooms
♦ 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 Session Four in Classrooms
♦ 12:05 - 12:30 p.m. Closing Remarks, Raffle and Survey in Cafeteria
Marcy Buchanan • email@example.com